STRANGER STOP AND CAST AN EYE...

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Philip Glass

Phew it's been a long week. But no worries, because it's time for March Break!!! Yeah!

I was going to feature another musician, however, lately I have been distracted by another one. So the intended will have to be posted later.

Now, introducing: Philip Glass

He is one of the most well known modern classical composer of the 20th century. Specializing in what we call art music and minimalism. Compared to some of his modern counter parts, I think his music would be one of the easier ones to 'get into', when being introduced to modern classical music. This is due to his more harmonious melodies, and wider use of consonances. More pleasant for the conventional ear than some other composers.

Personally, I think his music is just absolutely beautiful and breathtaking to listen to. Unlike my previous features, with complicated melodies and harmonies and counter harmonies and dynamics and master of all musical techniques. Glass uses simple melody and rhythmic repetitions to pull you into his music. They invoke intense/or just simple emotions, without using all of that extra flare. And it's extraordinary, how something so simple, can bring about so much. Because some of the piano pieces are so simple, it sounds so pure and brilliant and clean, there's room to enjoy each note. Most importantly, it's just so very pretty.

Though, as all musicians come to learn, what sounds easy and simple to do, often, isn't.

Some song recs:

Glassworks - played by Branka Parlic
I just simply love the songs from this series.


The Hours - played by Branka Parlic


Excerpt from Einstein on the Beach
This one's a rather fun/interesting one. I don't remember where I heard this from, but apparently, the counting in the background was not originally planned. Due to the numerous time signature changes, the orchestra had to count out the beats. So, he incorporated the counting in the the song.


The Metamorphosis - played by Branka Parlic
And of course, The Metamorphosis. This is one of my favourite piano pieces from him.
(A funny story, I was writing an essay on The Metamorphosis, by Kafka, the other day while listening to this song. At the time, I did not realize that I was listening to TM by Glass, and I thought to myself; "this song really suits/matches what I'm writing about....." Then realizing, that no duh, because the song is made for the novel. Shows you how well this song captures the book)


Birthdays for today: Georg Philipp Telemann, Johann Strauss Sr., Albert Einstein! (Hehehe, Einstein on the Beach XD).
And alas, Pi day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment