STRANGER STOP AND CAST AN EYE...

Monday, March 1, 2010

200

Today marks our dear Frédéric Chopin's 200th birthday.
Love him, or hate him, he is still one of the most brilliant musicians of all time.


When I was much younger, Chopin did not make much sense at all. His songs seemed quite boring, and are only to be played because adults seemed to enjoy his songs. But over the years, as I grew up and have (hopefully) matured somewhat, I think I have finally come to an understanding, or at least, my interpretation of him.


As it turned out, he is not boring at all! Nor is it extremely depressing or sad, as some would describe him. No, his music is filled with passion, with such colourful and at times heart breaking chord progressions and melodies. Sometimes with subtle peacefulness, then such fury! Like a fire, an unquenchable fervour, infatuation, excitement, raw emotions that run through your veins. I love his build ups, with the stretto/cresc./ritenuto/con fuoco combination that just seems to forever build up the emotions, the pressure.... Until, suddenly, it is all released, into quiet peacefulness, drifting on such sweet harmonies, lulling you like the calm rocking of the sea, like warm afternoons on the grassy knoll, under the shade. It is absolutely breathtaking. This is romanticism at its finest.


Here are some of Chopin's piano pieces, though I don't know how well one can truly enjoy them, without playing these pieces, feeling the harmonies and vibrations of the notes beneath one's fingers.


My uncle's favourite song in the whole world: Etude op.10 no.3



Nocturne op.9 no.2



This one is relatively easy, and quite possibly overplayed by RCM students, but I absolutely just love this one: Nocturne op.19 no.72



A piece that I'm currently working on; the Revolutionary Etude, op.10 no.12



And at last, the poem about Chopin's defenestrated piano:
Fortepiano Szopena by Cyprian Norwid
http://colecizj.easyvserver.com/ponorfor.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment